Sunday 21 March 2010

My darling...

That is how my great grandfather's letter to my great grandmother starts, "Älskade vännen -My darling". The year was 1916 and the letter is filled with warmth, with the longing to be together again - as my great grandmother had had to go away for a little while to, I think, take care of some relatives - and the sharing of everyday details of family life with the children at home.

When I was given this letter, together with a few others my grandmother had kept, I instinctively felt that I did not want them to just float around in a box somewhere, soon to be forgotten and possibly even lost. Just like the photo of my grandparents transfered onto a linen cushion, my great grandparents are invited to peer into the life of their descendants, anno 2010, from a framed version of the letter, from a candle, and since a few days ago also from an Easter egg.



Some people may find it strange or even inappropriate to use old photos and letters from family members like this. To me, it feels like an OK thing to do. In fact, more than OK. It is a lovely family reunion, where no one has to leave.

4 comments:

  1. Så fantastiskt att ha så gamla fina brev och dessutom en egen historia omkring dem! Underbart!
    Så mycket vackert du visar dessutom! Ja, jag tycker också mycket om gamla foton och brev och det verkar bli värre med åren!:-)

    Varmt TACK för din fina och rara kommentar hos mej! Så glad jag blev!
    Ha en fin vecka!
    Kram
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej igen - så kul att höra ifrån dej:)

    Så underbart fint du har tagit hand om det gamla vackra brevet. Visst är det en gåva när man får lov att förvara sådana här skatter och då vill man såklart inte ha dem liggande i en låda.

    Såg lite fint påskpynt i tidigare inlägg - firar ni påsk på samma sätt som i Sverige?

    Hoppas du har en skön söndagskväll - kram!

    ReplyDelete
  3. merci ton français est très bon.
    je découvre ainsi ton blog.


    bonne soirée
    Manon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jag tycker att det var ett alldeles fantastiskt sätt att bevara gamla brev på. På detta vis är de ju närvarande i ditt liv dagligen och jag kan tänka mig att du tänker på dem varje gång du ser det? På det viset glöms de ju aldrig bort utan lever vidare. Fint.

    Sköt om dig!
    Kram Lotta

    ReplyDelete

Dearest reader, I am sorry you have to go through the extra trouble of word verification to leave a comment here. After having received around 250 spam comments for each post recently, I have unfortunately had to add this filter.

Thank you so much for your comments!